Monday, March 4, 2013

Making Memories

One of the, let's say, "conveniences" of being a parent to a newborn and toddler, is that you can almost guarantee they won't remember anything from that part of their lives. If you happen to have a not-so-great parenting moment, it's probably okay. If you slip a bad word out, you're in the clear. If you walk around in your underwear, so what? But then, all of a sudden, they are mimicking you. You may hear that naughty word come out of their mouth in their cute little voice. Usually at an inopportune moment. Or maybe, when you ask them to pick up a toy, they may tell you, "Not right now, I too busy." And of course you automatically kick yourself for ever using those words to them, or even in front of them.

But at the same time, watching my little Jean pick up on the good things we try to teach her, is one of the most rewarding feelings I've experienced as a parent.

I've been watching her lately, realizing that everything that happens from here on out, has the potential to become a memory for her. That realization has made me a lot more aware of the things I do, the things I say, and any other things she is exposed to. It also makes it fun to watch her experience things, play pretend with her toys, and interact with other people. Particularly her little brother. I wonder which moments she is stowing away to call on later. Which memories are she and Alex going to laugh and cry over as they reminisce about their life as kids?

I love that Jean and Alex have become such good friends. They push, hit, and scream at each other sometimes, but for the most part, they love each other. They laugh, hug, and play nice more often than not. Just today, I lowered my rear view mirror to look at them in the back seat, and saw them holding hands across their car seats. Something that happens often, but makes me feel all good inside every time I catch it. I hope they stay good friends through life. It would sure make this mommy happy.