There's nothing like sitting down at the end of the day on your big fluffy couch with a bowl full of ice cream and cookies (and water. Never milk with ice cream - it's way too much dairy coating your mouth or something weird. Blech.) while you enjoy the silence in your nice clean house. You see, in order for anything to get done in my house, I have to offer myself rewards for doing work. In my heart, I am the laziest person you will ever meet. Ever. If I could have my way, I would thwart all responsibility while I lie on the couch, dosing and reading all day long. And this, after I slept in until 11 am. And I would love my life. Unfortunately, my family would go hungry, flies would buzz over the sink full of dishes, we would all smell, and you would have to kick a path through the living room as you walk. But thankfully this is not reality, and it is all because of my reward system. Example:
"Go take a shower, and then you can look at facebook."
"Go through that pile of mail that has been building for two weeks, then you can read your book."
"Just go do the dishes, get it over with, then you can have some ice cream."
"Clean up dinner, wipe down the kitchen and sweep, then you can go get in bed."
I feel like I should incorporate a sticker chart after seeing out written out like that, but I'll just stick to the less embarrassing mental checklist. Anyway, to get my ice cream tonight, I had to get the kids' rooms, living room and kitchen clean - everything put away and dishes done. So worth it.
The kids and I decided to make Daddy some cookies tonight after dinner because of how hard he has been working. The eighteen week semester is coming to a close with four finals and a practical done, and three more finals to go. So as a pick-me-up, we made him his favorite (I think) chocolate chip oatmeal cookies.

As you can see, the kids had a fabulous time making and eating the goods. Daddy loved them also, and of course he did because no one in the world could eat these cookies and not love them. Seriously. No one. Unless you are kind of crazy like my sister-in-laws (on Bryan's side), and not like chocolate. (??) Hi, you two! I promise I don't hold it against you, and I love you in spite of this. But for all of you normals out there, TRY these. They are amazing and you will make them for the rest of your lives. And I can totally brag about them, because it isn't my recipe; I copied it from a Relief Society (church) cookbook from when I was in college. Definitely. The. Best. Cookie.
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. hot water
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 cups oatmeal
1 bag (16 oz) chocolate chips
1 cup walnuts (optional)
Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, water, vanilla. Mix in dry ingredients. Add chips and nuts. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
Perfection for your tummy.



