Thursday, May 2, 2013

The Truth

Believe it or not, I think about this blog every night, feeling guilty that "once again, I didn't record anything." Most of those days though, there's a reason I don't write a post: my life is the same day, after day, after day. The main events being, breakfast, dressing everyone, snack, lunch, nap, snack, dinner, bedtime. Everything in between consists of a variation of children's play, learning numbers/letters and colors, enduring tantrums, breaking up fights, and time outs. Oh, and let's not forget the never ending cleaning, heaps of laundry, and mountains of dishes (with no dishwasher - what a joy). Every day. Always the same. Slight changes to our routine are always welcome: trips to the library, grocery shopping, outings with friends, or even the rare outing with Daddy.

This life may sound depressing (and sometimes it is), but I would never trade the way things are for anything else, because I know for sure that I would never find as much satisfaction anywhere in the world as I do from being a mommy to somebody. Two somebodies. Two amazing, absolutely incredible somebodies.



Anyway, everyday I look back on what happened and  have a hard time coming up with things to write about that I think might be entertaining to somebody else. Because, let's face it, snack time and piles of laundry really aren't that interesting. And as dramatic and loud as fights and time outs can be, I just can't seem to figure out a way to write about them that will hold everyone's attention. I just can't. Because, I'm not naive; I know that the everyday events of other people's lives are usually boring. Unless you're living it, it's really only fun to hear about other people's lives for two reasons: if there is humor involved, or if there happens to be an exciting, out-of-the-ordinary event. And the 10 times a day I wipe someone's butt, or sweep the floor, or chase down a tantrum throwing child through Walmart, just don't make the cut.

I follow and read several Mommy blogs out there, and surprise surprise, they are all funny! That's why I read them. If you can't find the humor in the things that happen while being a mommy, you will go crazy. Psyco, maniac, I'm-going-to-run-away-and-never-come-back crazy. So I read the humorous antics of other mothers to help with that not going crazy thing. Sometimes though, what you need is a, "This mommy thing is really hard, but you are doing great and here's why" type of read. One of my favorites (if not my most favorite) blog for when I need that type of fix, is written by a lady with seven kids. Her main focus is finding the joy in motherhood and it's genius, heartfelt and relatable. Her post from today was all about the monotony of your days with young children and how to survive. She calls it, the days of "treading water," which is exactly how the majority of my days feel. It gave me some validity in feeling like I just don't have anything worth writing a blog post about. Some days I don't. And that's okay. My life, and what I'm doing with it right now, has more value than anything else I could be doing. And that's the truth.