Monday, April 30, 2012

Potty Dance!

I realize that I'm about to write an entire post about urine and feces, but I just can't help myself. I also realize that this qualifies me as one of "those moms." You know the ones. Their life has become so boring that they always revert back to their child's bowel happenings. But try to believe me when I tell you, I am not cursed with such a boring life, I am the opposite: blessed with such an amazing opportunity as potty training. And therefore my entire day has been an ongoing obsession with the toilet.

Ah, crud. Who am I kidding? I guess I am one of those moms. No matter how I try to make it sound. That's fine though. On a day like today, I'll gladly accept that.

I never have a problem falling asleep at night, but last night was horrible. I laid awake forever stressing over the fact that I needed to try potty training my little girl again. So I awoke this morning completely determined. We've tried this whole business before with absolute zero success. She basically laughed at our efforts. So it always got put on hold for a day when I had more patience/energy/resolve.....whatever you want to call it. She could have cared less about our previous attempts. She thought it was fun to sit on the toilet and flush, but that's as far as she would go.

This morning, it clicked.

We sang potty songs, talked about chocolate chips, and *splash.* Pee! In the toilet!   I was so excited that I scared the poor girl. "YES! OH MY GOSH, YOU ARE DOING IT!" She jumped, and the stream stopped. Crap. Um, don't stop, you are doing so good! Do you have more pee? "OK!" came the adorable reply, and immediately the magical sound of the stream started to flow again. Phew. I had to bite my tongue and stop myself from jumping up and down shouting praise until she was finished. I gave her a lot of chocolate chips, really really hoping they would be a helpful incentive.

They were. Five times worth. Five pees on the potty, and one included a poop! (imagine my surprised and ecstatic face here.) With only a couple accidents during awake time, and a couple during nap time (though she never actually slept. Just played for two hours), I would definitely call today a success. On to tomorrow!